Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Abandoned!

Many atheists believe that Christianity is based on fear, dishonesty and it preys on the innocent and is extremely egocentric. Some even talk about Christianity that breeds authoritarianism, is anti-intellectual and anti-scientific thus it is cruel. There have been more attacks on Christianity compared to the attacks on all the religions put together, both physically and intellectually down through the centuries. Nearly every decade witnesses a controversy on Christianity, especially the Catholic Church. Almost all of the controversies only strengthens and consolidates the faith of Catholics. Catholicism is one of the most professional, balanced and the most complete revelation of God to people.

Instead of talking about the outsiders, it is important to talk about who comprises the people of God. St. Peter gives us the hint as to the qualities of the people of God. 1. The people of God have a conviction as who is God and who is not! False beliefs and rash conclusions have made us grownup teenagers who operate their world by instincts rather than by wisdom.

Nasaruddin earned his living selling eggs. Someone came to his shop one day and said, “Guess what I have in my hand.” “Give me a clue,” said Nasaruddin. “I shall give you several: It has the shape of an egg, the size of an egg. It looks like an egg, tastes like an egg, and smells like an egg. Inside it is yellow and white. It is liquid before it is cooked, becomes thick when heated. It was, moreover, laid by a hen.” “Aha! I know!” said Nasaruddin. “It is some sort of cake!” (De Mello, The Song of the Bird, P 58). This conviction is not a sure guarantee that we will live happy hereafter, rather a constant effort to purify ourselves by the body and blood of Christ and also clearing our minds by the study of Scriptures. The Jews in the first reading were not absolutely free from serving other gods, nor those who abandoned Jesus.

2. The people of God are called to life. All were given freedom to choose between life and death. Every time we sin, we choose death and every time we do good we choose life. Jesus, when asking the disciples, “Do you also want to leave?” makes it clear that we all have freedom and nothing is imposed. It is the way God created us. Life is choices. Love, anger, fear and courage are all life-choices. “Sometimes we choose the best-version-of-ourselves, and sometimes, we choose a –second-rate-version-of-ourselves. Our choices echo throughout our lives, and into history and on and on into eternity.” (Matthew Kelly, The Rhythm of Life, p 4).

3. We all have answered and said, “No we don’t want to leave, we will stay.” Now we have to be clear in answering this question. We stay here for a purpose. We are not in a limbo or purgatory here, temporary stay. “I will check out what Christianity and Christ is all about”, “I am here for my wife or my kids or for my parents.” Most often we guess. Marriage has been pushed down from the status of a Sacrament to a guess work in our modern world. Religion and spirituality who gave us meaning to our lives and morality have been reduced into a recycling bin. Bible-in-the basement is the trend. If we are to stay we need to ask: Am I ready to stop serving other gods? My selfishness, my ego, my arrogance, my pride and my small-mindedness. Now that I m sure who I serve, I ask, “Am I ready to serve God with all my heart, my mind and soul?” How? Or is it easy to answer the previous question, “Do you also want to leave?”

2 comments:

Chevalier Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chevalier Family said...

Excellent Essay.