Sunday, November 29, 2009

Boys Scout: Sharing the joys of Priesthood

On Saturday I was invited to the Boys Scout people to answer questions on Priesthood and Religious Life. These are the questions that they asked me and I would like to share with you my answers.


1. 1. What does it mean to be vowed?

A vow is a solemn promise underpinning a commitment to God or to another person.

Legally: The vows as presently and popularly understood set the boundaries for personal, communal, and moral behavior within which the person is expected to live and whose transgression incurs censures of various type, the ultimate one being expulsion from the order or congregation.

2. 2. What does it mean to be promised?

A promise is so general a word that it is used in interpersonal relationships. We promise that we will be faithful to someone in a married relationship; we promise to not to drink or smoke; we promise to buy something for our sons and daughters etc. In religious sense, we make our promise to God on certain focus that we are concerned about; we make our promise to the other person being fully aware of the real presence of God before, during and after the promise.

3. 3. What does it mean to be committed?

Commitment is the actual immersing of ourselves in the promise or vows that we professed. My commitment to my vow and promise is shown in the way I live out those vows and promises.

4. 4. How does your commitment level benefit you?

Vows that I professed are very high moral standards that i set before me. It is with constant efforts and interest that I experience my commitment. In that sense, the commitment level helps me to be a better person with good moral stand and eagerness to serve others.

5. 5. How does your commitment level benefit the secular community?

Secular community we mean here is all those who don’t see me as a priest. This necessarily brings in all my human qualities such as my ability to show care and concern, to relate and dialogue, unite and collaborate, organize and educate. This brings out my other God-given potentials to put in use for the benefit of the society and be able to transcend my horizon and to reach out. A fair amount of commitment is expected in all forms of service.

6. 6. How does your commitment level help benefit the faith community?

When it comes to faith community I am projected there as a leader. My commitment to my vows as a religious priest is indispensible and very valuable as I engage myself in God’s business and my efforts to lead others in the same path. Thus my commitment also has the nature of my responsibility: vows are never aimed at self-purification, rather are made for the service of the Kingdom of God.

7. 7. How does your commitment level help you fulfill your baptismal commitment?

By ‘Baptismal commitment’ we mean our yes and no: yes to the power of light and no to the power of darkness. It also incorporates our tendency to focus on the yes and maximizing our efforts on the YES, rather than focusing and stressing the importance of NO. My baptismal commitment is the strength and fountain through which I approach all other sacraments. My baptismal commitment is the foundation on which my religious commitment takes shape: to value and appreciate the power of light in my life and my life as a reflection of God’s light.

8. 8. What does your commitment entail in your lifestyle?

Constitution 32 summarizes all of what and who we really are: “Ours is a spirit of family and a spirit of brotherhood, formed by kindness and understanding, by compassion and mutual forgiveness, by gentleness, humility and simplicity, by hospitality and a sense of humor."

My commitment to religious life encourages me to live out these values as a Missionary of the Sacred Heart.

9. 9. How does your commitment witness God’s presence?

Vows as made for larger horizon and a vast number of people though the vows are made by a limited, humble, lacking individual. My commitment to my vows is shown in the way I think and relate to others trusting in God’s guidance. The intentions of the heart almost always unknown to others, but known fully God helps me to purify myself so that I am worthy to serve Him and the people. The above mentioned qualities are sure signs of a Missionary of the Sacred Heart that I fondly adhere to follow in my relationship with others. God is present in a place where 2 or 3 gathered in His name. I try to make that presence visible and as human as possible for a human society.

10. 10. What do you get out of your commitment?

· A An immense sense of happiness for sure.

· A great amount of humility that I am of a little service to a small number of people in a small way.

· A A renewed strength to serve.

· A A great circle of friends.

11. 11. Why did you make this level of commitment?

I practically grew up in the seminary. I have never known any of the demands and expectations of religious life until recently. I was so limited in many ways to understand and conceptualize the whole vocation. My rich religious background and priest friends helped me tremendously in my earlier decisions. When I made this decision all I had in mind was to live a pure and dedicated life, serving God and others in my own little ways. I value priesthood a great platform to meet and serve people.

12. 12. Did you feel called by God to make this commitment? How can you tell?

I was far from being perfect in all those years of my seminary training. The first few years were filled with innocence and purity and the rest was all trial and error. I was fortunate to have good hearted people around me to guide me and support me. The number of people who enjoyed my company, the depth with which I was able to motivate young people in my ministry as a seminarian and the priorities that I chose before my needs and comforts are all come in handy when answering this question. It’s always a great feeling someone who lived with me in my ups and down answers this!

13. 1 3. Does your commitment have any benefits?

Benefits are rewards here! The benefits are many. From young to old if I am able to contagiously produce a smile, my rewards have no boundaries. A hug from an old grandma, a strong handshake from a strict businessman, a smiling nod from the crowd of my homily, tears swelling when sharing family problems and a look that assures me that ‘you are a good guy, thank you for listening’, a little infants fingers at baptism, a little girl’s hug at Wegman’s, emails and letters of encouragements after a bad thought in homily, breakfasts and dinner outs with friends oh boy!

No comments: