In the movie FIREPROOF the story explains to us how parents in their honored position could influence their children in their early years of marriage. You have someone teaching you first handedly and you take the lesson for your life. In the Church, so many saints have lived a rich, full life of grace which they handed down to us as life-lessons to be lived. Seminarians were often guided by the examples lived by the prophets and the disciples in appreciating their vocation especially the 2 vocation stories that we heard today. On the contrary, the society will not tolerate a criminal talking about justice and peace; an uneducated person talking about educational systems in the international levels; a non-believer talking about the importance of sacraments or a teen talking about obedience to parents or the importance of speed limits!
The last thing a fisherman wants to hear is the ‘how’ of fishing from another fisherman. An experienced fisherman does spill certain tips to the new ones. What we have in today’s gospel is experienced fishermen who fished all their lives and tips came from a carpenter who never learnt anything about fishing. What would have gone through in the minds of those fishermen! How would they take this situation lightly! The reactions are so contradictory: an acute aggression – How dare you! Shut up and get out! Leave us alone! Or a dry nasty smile – ‘the what?’ ‘What do you mean deep waters?’ ‘Excuse me! What is your last name again! Or a big surprise – ‘Wait a minute! Are you commanding me who am so weak and tired of fishing and more over frustrated at the result of last night?
The word for fish in Greek is Ichthus which is a symbolic word used by the early Christians. It can be read as an ACROSTIC, a word formed from the 1st letters of many words. Ichthus has the meaning of Jesus Christ, Son of God, the Savior. They could not openly practice their religion as the persecutions were on. Ichthus was their secret sacred symbol used to recognize another believer. Fish is another word for Jesus.
It is God himself teaching us where to find him and how to find him. Put out into deep waters! This catch is not for a hobby or business. This is for life. I am motivated to fish because I am hungry and I am driven by the force in me that I want to live. This is the force in every Christian that we look for God because we want to live. Finding God is not staying away from the spirituality, not staying away from dinner table, not staying away from responsibilities of father, mother and children. I hate snow but I love Nazareth or Watertown! I want God but I won’t get in the water! This also calls for honesty and truthfulness in our commitment to work. Those working in big offices and getting big salaries: I take big fish without even thinking of going near the water. All those who receive big should be prepared to give big in terms of sharing.
Though this phrase ‘fishers of men’ is traditionally used for vocation to priesthood and religious life, it teaches us the simple wisdom that ‘Once you fish for God, you are qualified to fish for people.’ 1st lesson for the disciples is fishing or finding God. This is the foundation to finding people. The object of finding or fishing for people is to share God with them. Every kind act of charity is sharing God with others. Are you hungry! Let’s find the fish and let’s find the people to share our meal with! I guess we are in deep waters and our food is getting ready on that Table!

No comments:
Post a Comment